FROM WWE RAW IN TORONTO TO A BIG MONEY MATCH IN SMASH WRESTLING, DEREK HARMSWORTH GIVES YOU A QUICK JAUNT THROUGH THE WEEK IN WRESTLING WITH ‘THE FRIDAY FIFTEEN’!
— DerekH @ TWM.News (@DerekHarmsworth) August 8, 2017
- Having attended both the WWE house show Sunday, and Monday Night RAW on Monday, it must be said how smooth of an operation WWE runs in terms of a live product. They do it so well, we often take for granted just how difficult it is.
- The crowd in Toronto turned on Bayley, but I don’t think it was for the reason most thought. It wasn’t that Toronto is “bizarro world” or were trying to be cool. Fact is, as much as I like Bayley (I’ve written about it at length), she just isn’t that great on the mic, and her promo Monday seemed disorganized and poorly delivered.
- I’m sure cheering him started out as an ironic thing to do, but week-by-week Braun Strowman has gotten himself very over.
- Remember the week Jason Jordan was revealed to be the son of Kurt Angle? It was met with skepticism, but I said in this very column I would give it some time and see where it was going. Well, a few weeks later and it has gone…. Well, nowhere.
- As it typically does, NXT TakeOver, emanating from Brooklyn the night before SummerSlam, has the chance to be the best show of the weekend. An incredible card has even once more put together.
- Jon Jones is teasing an appearance at WWE SummerSlam. Can’t see it happening, personally, but how beneficial would it be for WWE if he did? The free promotion would be invaluable.
- I’ve gushed at length of the current run of Cody Rhodes as ROH World Champion, and I am not prepared to stop. His match on this week’s ROH TV, a 2-out-of-3 falls match with Christopher Daniels, was incredible. Rhodes is re-establishing not only his legacy, but also taking the Championship around his waist to new heights.
- WWE may well be onto something with the pairing of Sami Zayn and Tye Dillinger.
- GFW bringing in more X-Division wrestlers can only be a positive. So far the division has been a highlight of recent shows as the company tries to reinvent and reinvigorate itself.
- Smash Wrestling has a veritable license to print money with their upcoming Championship match between Tyson Dux and Mark Haskins. One of the most hotly anticipated matches of the year, it takes place this weekend at Super Showdown in Toronto, and will be filmed for the Fight Network.
- Cody Deaner is one of the true good guys in pro wrestling. Hell of an in-ring talent as well.
- Watching of wrestling this past week, I don’t think we give nearly enough credit to everything “Superstar” Billy Graham did.
- Kudos to WWE for effective, simple storytelling with the entire Seth Rollins-Dean Ambrose interactions from Monday Night RAW. Even though we’ve seen partial Shield reunions in the past, this one still seems fresh due to the approach.
- It may be seen as a sort of cheap pop by some, but GFW debuting “Amped” at this tie is pretty smart. Fans of WWE may well be channel surfing and stumble upon the likes of Gallows and Anderson, Bobby Roode, Samoa Joe, and others inside the ring of Global Force Wrestling and keep their eyes on the product.
- Austin Aries seems genuinely happy with his life outside wrestling since leaving WWE. A published author whose book “Food Fight” is selling very well, one has to wonder whether he’s actually in a rush to get back into the ring.